Monday, September 15, 2008

Harkness Reflection: Period 6

After looking at the Harkness Evaluation sheet on your first class conference, please assess your class's performance in the summer reading Harkness. What did you do well as a class and what could you do better next time. After you post your own reflection read your classmate's reflections and get a sense for what the group as a whole felt. Respond in another post.

13 comments:

sam da hammer said...

I thought that the class deserves a B+ because we did pretty good for the our first time. We were good at stopping at points to let quieter people share their ideas. We had a few times of chaos where everyone was shouting at once but they weren't to often. Next time we should be more consistent with raising our hands so were aren't all talking over each other. In general I thought we answered questions well and brought up some good points.

Anonymous said...

I thought that we did a very good job for the first time. I felt that we could have gone a little faster. Yet I feel that we answered every question very fully and deeply. I think we will get better over time. If I had to give a grade to the class I would have given a b+.

Anonymous said...

I think that sma was right when he siad that we did have some chaos but only a few times and also having the quieter people talk as well. But i dont think that we should raise our hands to much because it could waste some valueble time by calling on people.

Austin said...

i think as a class grade we earned a B to a B+ because we did not do everything with fullness. i think everyone participated and we all recognized when the process wasn't working. i also think we were helpful and when some people had a different view than others. we could use some work on our pace because i know i had some things to say but before i could get them out we were rushed to the next question. also i think we should have gone to our book for more examples.this was our first harkness and i think overall we did a good job.

Austin said...

i would agree that our pace was a little fast for the class and that we should not have half the class talk for the majority of the time. next time i would suggest before we move on to the next part of the question that we ask if anyone has anything to add to what was just said. also i think we should come up with a better way to talk without all of us talking at the same time. i dont think raising our hands would work because there is no one to call on the next person. what might work is if the person who is talking calls on the next person????

Anonymous said...

I thought that our first class harkness discussion went very well. We were thorough in our answers although maybe we did go a little too fast. Everybody in the class participated, some more than others, but it still went pretty o.k. The only things that we could maybe improve on for the next time are:

1. Raising our hands more, to avoid shouting all together at the same time

2. Staying focused on the question, since we sometimes got off track

3. Going faster; I felt like we were always getting hung up on one question and going into specific detail which is good, but for a really long time

However, overall, we did a very good job. We were thorough, as I said before, got all the most important facts and quotes down and also used our time wisely.

Anonymous said...

I think that as a class we deserve a B+/A- because we worked well together. We all had good ideas, and everyone contributided to the conversation. If we got out of control one of us would say that there was "chaos" and we would get back on track. Next time, I think we could do better on moving along. Although we got a lot accomplished, we did not finish every question, and at the end people still wanted to say their own comments on the book. However, I think that if we moved along faster on the first question, we would have finished with plenty of time.

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone else that our pace was a little slow, and that our pace could have been faster. However, I agree with David that we answered every question fully, which is also important. Ludavica, I disagree with you that everyone should raise their hands to avoid shutting people out, because I do not think that was necessary. We were all good about not talking out of turn, but occasionally raising a hand was helpful. I also disagree with you that we got off track. We did have two or three times of chaos, but i think we were all pretty good about staying on topic.

Anonymous said...

I thought that we deserve a b+/a- because we did a good job on the overall discussion, but were a bit "chaotic" as I used frequently during class. We had a deep discoussion and covered every question on the page which was good. We did, however, lack the organization and lack of chaos.

Anonymous said...

I agree that the pace was a bit slow and that we could have gone a bit faster, but I think that we all agree on the fact that we answered every question thoroughly and deeply. We all, also, give ourselves the same grade: b+/a-. I also agree with everybody when we say that we could have organized it better so that everybody would not speak at once and have chaos.

Ms. Chiaputti said...

You all seem to have a good sense of what you did well and whatyo could improve upon for the next Harkness. Overall, i was impressed with your wilingness to take risks as a class. You weren't afraid to tackles the controversial elements of the discussion. You did have quite a few instances when everyone began talking over eac other; and unfortunately his meant that the loud tended to dominate. Pauses and moments to really consider what someone has said can be a positive thing. Good job going to the book. You did this more at the end of the discussion and it led you deeper into the book. Perhaps, your greatest moment, however, was when you decided to switch to question five and skip four. This type of flexibility allowed you to make connections between the questions. you also adjusted your format for number five and went around in a circle which allowed some other people to get in on the conversation. Good effort for your first time around. Grade: B

hack time said...

I thought the class deserves a B+ or an A- because it was our first time and we all participated, we all had time to think during puases and when other people were talking, we had lots of interesting ideas, we listend to each other well, we treid to make the best possible system to talk,we used evidence in our ideas, and people were sincere in their comments.

hi it meh... ben said...

well i was told to generally sum up all the coments to show what are slass would need for a A grade.
Heres a list of things i htought from the comments could be done or improved on.
1. Try to get one person who can direct the conversation and call on people to share thier comments.
2. Stay more focused on the main meaning of the question and try to find what it is truly asking.
3. Also alot of people said to keep a pace so maybe we could set aside an amount of time that could be spent on each question, to make sure we stay on track and at a good pace.
Well thats all i got to say hopefully are class can earn an A+ next time!