Please answer one of the following questions and then respond to the conversation that is being had by the rest of your classmates.
1. There are several metaphors used throughout the story “Marigolds.” Choose one and explain how the two things compared are alike using examples from your life or the story to explain.
2. Choose one image in the story that is explained in detail and explain how the details of that image contribute to the mood of the story. What is the overall message the author is trying to communicate and how does the image you chose fit into that message?
3. Explore the theme of waiting in this story? Why is it such a part of the narrator’s life? Why might the narrator still be waiting?
4. How is the theme in this story similar to the theme in “Through the Tunnel?” How is it different? In other words do you think the overall message the author wants to communicate is the same or different, and how?
Monday, September 29, 2008
Marigolds
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
44 comments:
(2) On page 160, the main character describes Miss Lottie's house. The author is trying to show the conditions in which Miss Lottie lives, and how depressing and poor her life must be. It shows that she doesn't have much and her life seeems bleak and empty, just like the rest of the town in the story. This makes the marigolds even more important by comparison because they are the only not ugly or run down part of the town, and the only thing that Miss Lottie lives for is caring for the marigolds. It shows that even in the dark mood of the story, miss Lottie still has one tihng nice near her. However when the main character helps destroy the flowers it symblolizes that she has taken away the rest of miss lotties hope.
"a brilliant splash of sunny yellow against the dust-miss Lottie's marigolds,"(p.157). The marigolds seem to represent the happiness in Miss Lottie's life. They all live in a dreary and poor town and the one thing that lights it up is the marigolds. Without the marigolds Miss Lottie has no happiness. The dust is mentioned often throughout the story. The town they live in all brown dirt and dust. This makes you feel the sense of poverty because they are in the great depression. if the town was covered in grass and flowers you wouldn't get the sense of poverty. They wait for several things. One is for their father to get a job and stop crying to their mother. liz is waiting to mature into a woman. The narrator is waiting to stop feeling bad about the marigolds. she doesn't feel the same after they are destroyed. The theme is similar because in both situations the main character is pressured into doing something. Jerry is pressured into swimming through the tunnel, Liz is pressured into annoying Miss Lottie. It is different because jerry is trying to join the older boys by doing what they do. Whereas Liz is trying to separate herself from the children by showing that she is a mature young adult and not a young child. The overall message is similar because each character is trying to mature.
The image of the main charaptor standing in front of Ms.Lottie ashamed instead of running away showes how she has turned into a woman and can feel responcible for her actions. As a women she must stand and feel empathy instead of running away apithetic to the feelings of the woman she wronged, embracing only her feelings of thrill at her mindless destruction.
Question #1:
Metaphors were very easy to find in this book. I found one quickly on the first page. It reads, "dust-the brown, crumbly dust of late summer". This metaphor is comparing summer to dust. What this metaphor is trying to say is that the summer went by so quickly, all that is left of it is brown dust. I think we all can compare to this metaphor because everyone's summer breezes by. It is like you can almost see the brown faded dust of summer, like summer has taken a long road trip and will be back next year. I know that this is a metaphor because the author is comparing two unlike things, (the summer) and (brown dust) without using the words "like" or "as".
"for all the smoldering emotions of that summerswelled in me and burst", this metaphor is about bottleing up your emotions to the point where you cant take it any more and everything comes out not always in the way you wish to express it in. In the story lizabeth expressed all her emotions of rage for her family poverty level and the sadness she felt for making fun of miss lottie by destroying miss lottie's garden.
hey hack time who r u
hey im noah
there are many metaphors in marigolds. one of them is "poverty is the cage in which we are trapped...". "We" are the people who live with and near lizabeth. They are trapped by it because it refrains them from advancing in society at all, like they can't aford an new inventions like the radio or magazines. they cannot move forward or progress to build new things and inventions because they cannot afford the materials to buy them and don't have enough to buy them either.
"When I think of the home town of my youth, all that I seem to remember is the dust-the brown, crumbly dust of late summer-arid, sterile dust that gets into the eyes and makes them water, gets into thee throat and between the toes of brown feet." This image helps show how this girl was living in poverty and sorrow. The idea that everything was just dust and dirt and no lush green grass makes the mood of the story turn to a sad and depressed mood. If the narrator had said that all she could remember of her childhood was lush thick green grass and a cool breeze or something of that nature we would be able to assume that she had a happy, upbeat childhood.
hey noah again
eric i agree with you that she is expressing all the bottled emotions she has at the end by destroying miss lotties garden and i also think that she was trying to hold her emotions in because she was trying to become mature and couldn't take it anymore so that is also why she destroyed the garden
Hack Time: I agree with you in your first statement; that she has grown as a woman and realized that she must take responsibility for her actions. But you said she would be running away apathetic to the woman she wronged, I am not sure as to why you used apathetic in that text.
in this story i think the memory of the womans house is the picture. this sets the mood of the story being mysterious and a little scary because the lady is like an evil witch. she never comes out of her house or yard and the kids dont know how she gets food. this lady has a dusty creery house with no stairs or portch.
A metaphor that I read was, "illusive as smoke" from the sentence, "I feel again the chaotic emotions of adolescence, illusive as smoke, yet as real as the potted geranium before me now." The metaphor is basically trying to say that smoke is like an illusion, something that can and cannot be seen as something important. This can compare to my life experiences by, when I receive good and bad grades.
Question #2:
On page 161, the main character describes Miss Lottie's marigolds. The author is trying to show hard she works on them and how much effort she puts into her work.
The author describes the flowers as something special that Miss Lottie treasures and loves. Also, she mentions that they stand out in the muddy and badly held yard that she has. Plus, it also mentions that although Miss Lottie loved those marigolds and took care of them all summer, every summer, all the other kids hated her marigolds. They thought that the marigolds interfered with the perfect dirtiness of the place. They felt scared when they saw how Miss Lottie ripped those weeds apart without caring one bit. But instead of taking care of the yard and garden, she takes care just of the marigold flowers. That is just something that they could not name. When the boys walked over there, they always annoyed Miss Lottie but really, all the boys wanted to do was actually destroy the marigold flowers, but no one had the guts to do it. However, whenever I walk into my mom's garden and yard, I always see beautiful yellow flowers blooming. That's because my mom actually cares about the appereance of our yard and garden. On the other hand, Miss Lottie doesn't care about anything in her yard and garden except her golden/yellowy marigold flowers. However, when the main character helps destroy the beautiful flowers, then it is shown that all of Miss Lottie's hope that she ever had was gone and therefore destroyed like her flowers that she cared for so carefullly. For these reasons, the passage when the main character is explaining Miss Lottie and her flowers, is an excellent passage to write about since it is exactly the point of the story, to see the beautiful flowers getting treated so well by Miss Lottie and then seeing them destroyed by the main character which takes the hope and optimism of Miss Lottie away.
I think one of the most striking images is when hse is just sitting in the marigold field and you can just imagine her brother looking at her in disbelief. She is also shcked that she could have stooped so low down to level of tearing up the garden, so that all that lies is just stems of flowers and piles of dirt strewn across the graden. Making it so the now the once beatiful graden has become dacyed and dead liek the rest of the property.
One metaphor used in the story that I found was on page 158 "Poverty was the cage in which we all were trapped." What I got from this metaphor is that poverty was like being trapped with nowhere to go and once you hit poverty, it’s very hard to get out. An example of this is the millions of people in Africa who face poverty, and once they hit that point where they no longer have any money, it’s hard to find a well paying job and get out of poverty or “the cage.”
One metaphor in "Marigolds" was, "for the most part, those days are ill-defined in my memory, running together and combining like a fresh water-color painting left out in the rain." This means that all of her memories are faded, and mixed up, just like a water color painting would look after its been left out in the rain. So, if you were to look at her memories like a picture, they would look the same as the water color painting that was left out in the rain. I can relate to this metaphor because sometimes I feel the same way. For example if I cannot remember something on a test, all the facts that I studied mix together, and I cannot figure out what question that they should be used as an answer for.
Sam, I agree with you that the marigolds represent the happiness in Ms. Lottie's life. They make the poverty of her and the town, seem less painful for her. I also agree that the theme is similar because of pressure, but, you might also say they are similar by the fact that both stories deal with growing up, and the bridge into adolescence, because that is what I think that the main theme is. Lastly, I disagree with you that Liz is waiting to mature into a women. Before her wake up call after she ruined Ms. Lottie's marigolds, she just thought she was still a kid.
Eric-
I definetly agree with you when you said that the metaphor was about botteling up your emotions until you cant hold them in anymore and they just seem to come out in a way that you dont want them to. I can't really relate to this metaphor, though, because whenever I have something really big on my mind, or something is really bothering me, I don't sit back and not say anything, nor do I like scream about it, but I will speak my mind.
There were many metaphors used in the book "Marigolds," and I found one very quickly. On the first page, there is a metaphor that says, "I feel again the chaotic emotions of adolescence, illusive as smoke, yet as real as the potted geranmium before me." This metaphor is comparing lizabeth and the beautiful geraniums from Miss Lottie's marigold garden. I can definetly relate to this metaphor because whenever I walk through my moms garden, and I see all of the beautiful flowers, you almost feel just as beautiful as they look. She is also saying that the memory of Miss Lotties garden is so real and clear, that she still has a fresh picture of it in her mind. Also in this statement there is the metaphor, "Illusive as Smoke...." This metaphor is describing about how the authors memory of Miss Lotties garden is illusive, and blurred, just like smoke is. The metaphor is contrasting to the statement about how the vision of her garden is as clear and colorful on the potted geranium before her, but at the same time it can be as illusive as smoke.
A metaphor used in this story "marigolds" is that the marigolds are miss lotties life. these compare becuase the marigolds are the only thing that miss lottie had that was very nice and beautiful and when lizabeth destroyed them lizabeth could see the sadness in miss lotties eyes.
"Whatever verve there was left her, whatever was of love and beauty and joy that had not been squeezed out by life/ had been been there in marigolds had so tenderly cared for."
The plot in "Through the Tunnel" and "Marigolds" are similar. Miss. Lottie's marigolds represent faith and when she cared for them they gave her strength to never give up. The main character in "Through the Tunnel" also never gave up and was determined to go through the tunnel. The main characters in both storys grew up in the end but in different ways. The main character in "Marigolds" grew up by learning to be more responsible and learn from her actions. The main character in "Through the Tunnel" grew up by being more independent and not relying on his mom.
Mike: I agree with you that when Lizabeth destroys Miss. Lottie's marigolds she is devestated and has given up. I also thought that quote represented what she was feeling well.
Brandon Vigliatura
2. The image I choose was the image described on page 160; this was of Miss Lottie house. Elizabeth described the house like: Miss Lottie’s house was the most ramshackle of all our homes. The sun and rain had long since faded its rickety frame siding from the white to a sullen grey. The board themselves seemed to remain upright not being nailed together but rather from leaning together like a house that a child might have constructed from cards. A brisk wind might have blown it down, and in fact that it was still standing implied a kind of enchantment that was stronger than the elements. There it stood, and as far as I know is still standing yet-a grey rotting thing with no porch, no shutters, no steps, set on a cramped lot with no grass, not even any weeds- a monument to decay.
The description of the house gives to the mood of the story because it’s telling you how these people live. The main message the author is trying to give the reader is that there are people in the world who are less fortunate and need help. Do your best to support and care for them. This description of this house works with this message because it is showing you what it is like to be in someone else’s shoes other than your own.
mike I agree with the statment you made. I think that it was clever of you to point out the flowers represented her life and i especially liked the part about; sadness in miss lotties eyes.
Marina:
I agree with you when you said that smoke can be something that can or cannot be important. Just like you compared smoke to getting good and bad grades. I would say that the smoke in my life is sports. I really do enjoy to play sports, it is just that I do not have much time to play them. All in all, sports is a very big part of my life.
1) "Poverty was the cage in which we all were trapped, and our hatred of it was still vague, undirected restlessness of the zoo-bred flamingo who knows that nature created him to fly free." the cage of poverty that you are trapped in is saying that she was born from a poor black family and therefore she is a black outcast that has a bad economic status. The zoo-bred flamingo who knows that nature created him to fly free is saying that she knows she should be getting a better education and shouldn't have a father that can't find work and a mother that works all day, comes home late, and gets hand-me-downs from her boss. The two concepts are alike because she is comparing her trapped life of poverty, where she knows she could do more if she had a better education and her family had more money, to a flamingo that was born in the zoo, that should be out in the wild where it could fly free and do what it wants rather than being showcased in a cage. she is saying she is a flamingo trapped in a cage at the zoo. an example of this is when she writes "i had indeed lost my mind, fr all the smoldering emotions of that summer swelled in me and burst -- the great need for my mother who was never there, the hopelessness of our poverty and degradation,the bewilderment of being neither child nor woman and yet both at once, the fear of unleashed by my father's tears." She is in a way scared because if her father, a strong man, cries about their situation, she has a reason to cry and be scared also.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Austin
Sam, i agree with you that the dirt is representing poverty and the marigolds are trying to lighten up the town but i don't think Elizabeth is being pressured into annoy miss Lottie. when her brother suggests the idea, she writes "the idea caught on at once, for annoying miss Lottie was always fun." here she is saying she wants to go and annoy miss Lottie. what you are talking about is when she is in the midst of doing it she as second thoughts about throwing pebbles at the flowers.
Kent
On page 166, when the main character is face to face wit Miss Lottie after ruining her marigolds was a truley descriptive passage. I could almost picture the tears running off of Lizabets's cheeks, and onto the devistated flower bed. I felt like the amount of emotion described helped me pictere the physical condition of the scene. If the author had just described physical definition, I would not have properly gauged the severity of the event. When the author began to talk about Miss Lottie not being a witch, saying that she was just a broken old lady, I could just picture a look of pure pain, and in a way disappointment, that Miss lottie was looking down at Lizabeth with. The use of emotional description, rather than physical description, was what made this passage so great.
There are many metaphores in this short story but the one i came upon first was a metaphore on merigolds. On the very first page the text describes about their childhood memories and how Ms.Lottie's marigolds reminded them of their childhood. "A brilliant splash of sunny yellow against the dust-Miss Lottie's marigolds," a quote from the very first page giving Lizabeth that wonderful memory of her childhood. I think marigolds are a metaphore for childhood. There are several metaphores in this story but I chose this one because I can relate to this metaphore because the flowers in my yard will always come to my mind when I am older reminding me of the memories of my childhood.
Marina: I agree with you when you commented saying that smoke can be something that can or cannot be important. I can also relate to your story with grades because I am the same way.
Many metaphors are used on a day to day basis but I think that this metaphor stands out. On p. 158, the metaphor "For the most part, those days are ill-defined in my memory, running together and combining like a fresh water-color painting left out in the rain". This metaphor is unique because it describes the scene perfectly. It is as if the days are the watercolored painting and the rain is time. As time passes, the water color painting starts to drip and slowly dissappear as if the memories from the person was slowly dissappearing from their mind.
Michela: I agree with you that the author's memory of the garden is blurred just like the smoke. I think that that is a wonderful comparison that you made and congradulate you. Well done.
I think that the two stories that we read are different. I think they are the same because they give the same meanings. Though the tunnel says that you have to do something before you becaome an adult by going through the tunnel. and marigolds sys that same thing but the girl tearing up the flowers.
Julia- i agree that the marigolds represent the good in her and the main character destroys that and it takes away the rest of her hope.
yeah
its ben,
i agree with hack time becasue when she finds herself at miss lotties feet that is when responsibilty kicks in and she becomes a woman
jer to the bear .... lol
Do You interesting of [b]Generic Viagra in Canada[/b]? You can find below...
[size=10]>>>[url=http://listita.info/go.php?sid=1][b]Generic Viagra in US and Canada[/b][/url]<<<[/size]
[URL=http://imgwebsearch.com/30269/link/buy%20viagra/1_valentine3.html][IMG]http://imgwebsearch.com/30269/img0/buy%20viagra/1_valentine3.png[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://imgwebsearch.com/30269/link/buy%20viagra/3_headsex1.html][IMG]http://imgwebsearch.com/30269/img0/buy%20viagra/3_headsex1.png[/IMG][/URL]
[b]Bonus Policy[/b]
Order 3 or more products and get free Regular Airmail shipping!
Free Regular Airmail shipping for orders starting with $200.00!
Free insurance (guaranteed reshipment if delivery failed) for orders starting with $300.00!
[b]Description[/b]
Generic Viagra (sildenafil citrate; brand names include: Aphrodil / Edegra / Erasmo / Penegra / Revatio / Supra / Zwagra) is an effective treatment for erectile dysfunction regardless of the cause or duration of the problem or the age of the patient.
Sildenafil Citrate is the active ingredient used to treat erectile dysfunction (impotence) in men. It can help men who have erectile dysfunction get and sustain an erection when they are sexually excited.
Generic Viagra is manufactured in accordance with World Health Organization standards and guidelines (WHO-GMP). Also [url=twitter.com/iuyjopg]Viagra Sales Market[/url] you can find on our sites.
Generic [url=http://fovunec.freehostia.com]Ordering Viagra to Canada[/url] is made with thorough reverse engineering for the sildenafil citrate molecule - a totally different process of making sildenafil and its reaction. That is why it takes effect in 15 minutes compared to other drugs which take 30-40 minutes to take effect.
[b]if viagra doesn't work
watermelon with men works like viagra
viagra purchase buy
viagra phase iii trials
viagra discount store
viagra equivalent herbal tablets
who markets viagra
[/b]
Even in the most sexually liberated and self-satisfied of nations, many people still yearn to burn more, to feel ready for bedding no matter what the clock says and to desire their partner of 23 years as much as they did when their love was brand new.
The market is saturated with books on how to revive a flagging libido or spice up monotonous sex, and sex therapists say “lack of desire” is one of the most common complaints they hear from patients, particularly women.
Peyton Manning Nike Jersey axiotakix
Aldon Smith Black Jersey axiotakix
Robert Griffin III Womens Jersey axiotakix
http://www.authenticnikeraidersjersey.com
If we think about the meaning of the saying like, with relation to its an intimate connection together with a further, nevertheless to be a experience that may be engendered when you have miltchmonkey the best relationship with ourselves way too , as well as as a feeling of better unity with your loved ones or simply humankind -- the idea gets to be even more clear that all any one needs in your daily course is definitely like.
I congratulate, your opinion is useful
In my opinion you are not right. Let's discuss. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.
Here and so too happens:)
Now all is clear, I thank for the help in this question.
I apologise that, I can help nothing. But it is assured, that you will find the correct decision. Do not despair.
[url=http://cheapoutletbag2.exteen.com/20130124/the-reason-why-acquiring-buckskin-laptop-computer-bags-seem-][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://mkbagcheap2.lifeyo.com/home/preview/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyiqwe.webstarts.com/?r=20130121213506][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.flixya.com/blog/5136056/Designer-Laptop-Bags][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyiww.sport.fr/2013/01/21/the-most-recent-mulberry-handbags-retail-on-sale-cost-rich-in-quality/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
In it something is. I thank for the information. I did not know it.
I congratulate, remarkable idea and it is duly
Thanks for the help in this question. I did not know it.
And how it to paraphrase?
I think, that you are mistaken. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.
[url=http://www.homebasedbusinessprogram.com/profiles/blogs/motorcycle-tool-bags-keeping-the-tools-organized-and-accessible][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyiqwe.wordpress.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://mvpmichaelkors0.overblog.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://michaelkorscheap2.lifeyo.com/home/preview/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyiqwe.viajeblog.com.br/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
I am sorry, it not absolutely approaches me. Who else, what can prompt?
Between us speaking, you should to try look in google.com
You not the expert, casually?
In it something is. Many thanks for the help in this question.
In my opinion you are not right. I am assured. I suggest it to discuss. Write to me in PM, we will talk.
[url=http://acgwolf.uueasy.com/read.php?tid=1513446][b]Cheap NHL Jerseys[/b][/url]
[url=http://guzhixing.com/bbs/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1505305][b]Cheap NHL Jerseys[/b][/url]
[url=http://lsjzfb.u9.1358.net/plus/view.php?aid=37571][b]Cheap NHL Jerseys[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.meegowo.com/thread-46557-1-1.html][b]Cheap NHL Jerseys[/b][/url]
[url=http://forum.eukicks.com/topic.php?id=144494&replies=1#post-153972][b]Cheap NHL Jerseys[/b][/url]
Post a Comment